Mrs. Joyce Hicks
And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
We are only going to cover 2 verses this week. Please take the time to dig into these verses. Do a little research on the kingdom of God and what the Jews were looking for and what the Pharisees were afraid of.
Demanded when the kingdom of God should come
- Still looking for the wrong kind of kingdom
- Observation – here are two different quotes to ponder
The ancient Greek word translated observation is better-translated, hostile examination. Jesus told the Pharisees that their hostile, doubting eyes were unable to see or receive the kingdom of God. – Guzik
The word there in the Greek is a word that means with outward manifestation or an outward show. You’re not gonna see an outward display of the kingdom at this time. – Smith
- Always looking for a sign
Kingdom of God
- Those who fail to recognize the King cannot see His kingdom – MacArthur
- King – they were not looking for a Savior
- After all they were already righteous in their own eyes
- Jesus did not fit their expectations of a King
- Nothing regal
- King of Kings – Do you know Him?