May 6, 2020
Mrs. Joyce Hicks
- And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
- And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
- The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
- And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
- Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.
I’m going to do these notes a little differently today. Going to use a kind of outline. Please be patient with me. Want to get you engaged in class as much as possible.
- Covetous (most versions say “lovers of money”)
- Motivated by Greed
- Obsessed with riches and wealth
- Corban (Mark 7:11) – this is sad!
- Luke 20:46-47
Heard all these things.
What had Jesus just been talking about?
Derided: “The word literally means that they turned up their noses at him.” (Barclay)
- Deride: express contempt for; ridicule
- Similar words: ridicule, mock, jeer at, scoff at, jibe at, make fun of, poke fun at, laugh at, disdain, dismiss, slight, sneer at, scorn, taunt, insult, torment, treat with contempt,
Usual response when someone doesn’t want to hear truth.
Justify yourselves before men
show or prove to be right or reasonable
Synonyms give grounds for, give reasons for, give a justification for, show just cause for, explain, give an explanation for, account for, show/prove to be reasonable, provide a rationale for, rationalize, defend, answer for, vindicate, substantiate, uphold, sustain, establish, legitimize, legitimatize
be a good reason for
declare or make righteous in the sight of God
Matt. 6:1-2, 5, 16
Men may highly esteem you, but as far as God is concerned you’re an abomination. More on abomination later.
b. You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts: It is one thing to justify yourselves before men, because smooth words and a “loving” smile can deceive men. But God knows your hearts – when you serve another master, it is impossible to be justified before God, no matter what men think. – David Guzik
God knows your hearts
- comfort or a curse?
- Scary thought?
- Sobering thought?
1 Samuel 16:7
For that which is highly esteemed among men is detestable (abomination) in the sight of God.
God finds all false forms of religion exalted among men detestable (the Greek Word can refer to something that stinks; that is abominable, disgusting, revolting); that is, not at all a sufficient offering to satisfy Him. The world’s religious wisdom is mere foolishness in God’s sight. (Rom. 1:22; 1 Cor. 1:20) – John MacArthur
c. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God: God judges our hearts with a different set of values. Men may honor someone because of their wealth or their public display of spirituality; but God sees who they really are. – David Guzik
Men may highly esteem you, but as far as God is concerned you’re an abomination. – Chuck Smith
Definition of abomination
John the Baptist
Last of the Old Testament Prophets
Old Testament era, the era of promise
First representative of the New Testament era
New Testament era, the era of fulfillment
His ministry bridged the two eras
John’s father, Zacharais, – Luke 1:67-79
Baptized Jesus – Matt 3
He must increase, but I must decrease – John 3:30
Since that time
A turning point
Kingdom of God (Good News of the Gospel) is now being preached – not just prophesied
The Messiah is now here – if they would only recognize him as the Messiah
Every Man presseth into it
The word press is a intense word in the Greek. It’s agonizo, must agonize into it.
Here are some other translations
AMPC – everyone strives violently to go in (would force his own way rather than God’s way into it)
NIV – everyone is forcing their way into it
CSB – everyone is urgently invited to enter it
HCSB – everyone is strongly urged to enter it
EASY – Everyone is now trying very much to get into that kingdom
NLT – everyone is eager to get in
ERV – everyone is trying hard to get into it
AMP – everyone tries forcefully to go into it
Words of Scripture – down to the smallest part of a letter – are divinely inspired.
Divorce – Pharisees – loopholes