Outline for June 28, 2020
Mrs. Joyce Hicks
- And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
- Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:
- And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.
- And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;
- Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
- And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.
- And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
- I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
To this end…..(in light of what He had been talking about in the last chapter – the coming kingdom)
Men ought always to pray and not to faint
- Prayer and persistence
- Be thinking about your personal prayer life. How would you describe it to someone and would God agree with that description. (ouch!) What would be an acronym that describes your personal prayer life? For example ACTS….or would it be SSSS? Are you persistent or are you a “one and done” kind of pray-er?
- The most basic definition of prayer is “talking to God.” Prayer is not meditation or passive reflection; it is direct address to God. It is the communication of the human soul with the Lord who created the soul. Prayer is the primary way for the believer in Jesus Christ to communicate his emotions and desires with God and to fellowship with God. – GotQuestions.org
- Prayer is the Christian’s way of communicating with God. We pray to praise God and thank Him and tell Him how much we love Him. We pray to enjoy His presence and tell Him what is going on in our lives. We pray to make requests and seek guidance and ask for wisdom. God loves this exchange with His children, just as we love the exchange we have with our children. Fellowship with God is the heart of prayer. Too often we lose sight of how simple prayer is really supposed to be. – GodQuestions.org
- Psalm 19:14 – wonderful verse to pray each morning
- Philippians 4:6-7 – worry about nothing, pray about everything
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – pray without ceasing
Unjust judge – hmmmm
- did not fear God
- did not regard man
- Prevailing and persistent prayer
God will avenge his own elect
- AMPC – And will not (our just) God defend and protect and avenge His elect (His chosen ones), who cry to Him day and night? Will He defer them and delay help on their behalf?
- NIV – And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?
Shall He find faith?
- AMP – However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find (this kind of persistent) faith on the earth?
- EASY – I the Son of Man, will return to earth, but will I find many people that still believe in me then, or not?
Will we finish well?